Jennifer is a shareholder with Soha & Lang. Her practice is devoted to insurance coverage for both personal and commercial lines, including coverage opinion and analysis, resolution of coverage disputes involving the duties of indemnification and defense, and insurance litigation, including first party coverage, third party coverage, insurance fraud, and bad faith defense. Jennifer has represented insurance companies in this regard for 13 years. In her spare time, Jennifer plays guitar and sings, and has performed in Washington and Oregon.
Jennifer is admitted in Washington, Idaho and Oregon federal and state courts.
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., 2006 (cum laude)
- Seattle University, B.A., Humanities, 2003 (summa cum laude)
- Seattle University, B.A., English, 2003 (summa cum laude)
HONORS AND INVOLVEMENT
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association
- Puget Sound Adjusters Association
- Reverse Now VII, LLC v. Oregon Mut. Ins. Co., 341 F. Supp. 3d 1233, 1240 (W.D. Wash. 2018), appeal dismissed,18-35848, 2018 WL 6990676 (9th Cir. Dec. 17, 2018). Obtained ruling holding that failure to disclose longstanding relationship between insured’s purported public adjuster and insured’s appraiser and purported public adjuster’s representation that he was a licensed adjuster are material misrepresentations that must be imputed to the insured and which voided policy of insurance.
- The Dolsen Companies, et al. v. Bedivere Insurance Company, et al.,Case No. 1:16-CV-3141-TOR, 2017 WL 3996440 (E.D.Wash. September 11, 2017). Obtained ruling that, applying Xia v. Probuilders analysis, absolute pollution exclusion applied to claim for defense an indemnity of suit brought under State and Federal environmental statutes
- Iron Gate Partners 5, L.L.C. v. Tapio Constr., Inc., 197 Wn. App. 1077 (2017)(unpublished) – Washington Court of Appeals, Division II: Successfully defended defense verdict on appeal.
- Kabrich v. Allstate Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., 693 Fed. Appx. 524 (9th Cir. 2017)(unpublished) – US District Court for the Western District of Washington: Successfully dismissed suit for contractual claims and extra-contractual claims for bath faith, violation of the Consumer Protection Act and violation of the Insurance Fair Conduct Act on summary judgment. Successfully defended 9th Circuit Appeal, affirming US District Court verdict.
- Coleman v. Am. Commerce Ins., 461 Fed. Appx. 600 (9th Cir. 2011)(unpublished)– US District Court for the Western District of Washington: Successfully dismissed suit for contractual claims and extra-contractual claims for bath faith, violation of the Consumer Protection Act and violation of the Insurance Fair Conduct Act on summary judgment. Successfully defended 9th Circuit Appeal, affirming US District Court verdict.
- Pinney v. Am. Family Mut. Ins. Co., C11-175 MJP, 2012 WL 584961 (W.D. Wash. Feb. 22, 2012) – US District Court for the Western District of Washington: Successfully dismissed contractual claims and majority of extra-contractual claims on summary judgment and achieved settlement.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Keodalah v. Allstate: A Step Back from the Abyss – PSAA, November 1, 2019. Co-presenter.
- Case Law Update – CPCU Spring Seminar – April 24, 2019. Co-presenter.
- Zhaoyun Xia v. ProBuilders Specialty Insurance COmpnay: Where do we go from here? – CLM Seattle Chapter Fall Education Event, October 2017.
- Claims Communication in The Post Truth Era – PSAA – April 21, 2017.
- New Construction and Development in Seattle: What Could Go Wrong? – CPCU – February 4, 2016.
- Contributor: CLM National: March 2020
- Contributor: CLM National: January 2020
- Contributor: CLM National: May 2019
- Washington Supreme Court Affirms Application of Exclusionary Endorsement for Vacant Buildings: Lui v. Essex Insurance Company, __ Wn.2d __ (2016); WDTL Defense News: Summer 2016